An Insight into Different Types of Padlocks and Their Features
If you are looking to purchase a padlock there is no lack of variety for you to choose from. However, it will be important to select one according to your requirements and also consider security any particular lock provides.
Our aim here will be to go through details of different Guard padlocks
you can select from and few of the important aspects you need to look into before making the purchase.
What are the Different Types of Guard Padlocks?
You can choose from different types of Guard padlocks
, let us go through the details here.
• Closed Shackle Padlocks: Here the shackle is enclosed on all sides and protects it from bolt cutters.
• Straight Shackle Padlocks: The good thing about them is that they can seamlessly fit onto doors of large warehouses, on shipping containers as well as on shutter doors present at storage units.
• Discus Padlock: These have circular shape and it is difficult to force open or drill these locks since they are not spring-loaded.
• Long Shackle Padlocks: As the name suggests, these consist of extended shackle and provide greater operational convenience. However, it is worth mentioning here that they provide less security since it is rather easy to cut or saw the shackle.
• Combination Padlock: In this Guard padlocks, there is a multi-dial or single dial combination which is used for operating the lock.
Variations – Keyed or Combination Padlocks
You can also select between keyed or combination padlocks such as:
Keyed Guard Padlocks
Keyed Alike: Here a pack contains several padlocks (such as 3 or 4 padlocks) and there is a single key which can open all of them.
Master Key: Here padlocks have different keys along with a master key that can be used for opening all the padlocks.
In case, a single person will be using multiple locks then best option will be to purchase keyed alike locks.
On the other hand, if there are multiple users who will have access to padlocks then master key padlocks will be the right option since it will offer higher degree of security with only person having access to the master key.
If you are considering purchasing combination padlocks then there are several options for you to select from like:
Multiple Dial: This is a simple padlock consisting of 3 rotating discs and considered not very secure.
Single Dial: Here a single dial is used for the number and clockwise as well as counter-clockwise movement of the dial is used for unlocking the padlock.
Which is better – Keyed or Combination Guard Padlocks?
In terms of security, you need to purchase keyed padlocks since it is easier to crack the code used in combination locks. Picking a keyed padlock is possible but more difficult in comparison to cracking the combination code.
As we can see, there are several options open for you to choose from and the selection will primarily depend upon kind of security you want as well as your personal preferences.